The Salzburg Cathedral

Pin It
The history of the Salzburg Cathedral tells us something important about the history of the city itself. First, the cathedral was built by order of Bishop Virgin in 767 as the city still was a Roman Municipium called Juvavum. It was then destroyed in the fire set by the followers of Barbarossa in 1167.

Ten years later, the Salzburger Dom was built again under the reign of Archbishop Konrad III von Wittelsbach. The resulting Dom was not only of great beauty and splendour but it was also the most majestic among imperial cathedrals. It was damaged again in a fire in 1598 and the archbishop Wolf Dietrich took the occasion to destroy the entire bulding without saving vestments and works of art and he ordered a new project according to his own plans.

However, his plans came to a premature end when he was deposed and imprisoned in the Mirabell Castle. His nephew and successor, Markus Sittikus von Hohenems, gave the master builder Santino Solari the task of reconstructing the Salzburg Cathedral. Under his direction, the cathedral became the first early baroque church to be built north of the Alps. The cathedral was consecrated by Archbishop Paris Lodron, since von Hohenems died before seeing the completion of the project he had commissioned. The consecration of the cathedral was defined as the greatest and most splendid festival that Salzburg had ever seen. During World War II, a bomb hit the dome and destroyed the chancel. Repairs were completed in 1959 and brought the cathedral back to its former splendor.

Something interesting to know

The entrance gates of the cathedral show three consecration dates of the church: 774, 1628 and 1959
The statues in front of the facade represent St Peter, St. Paul, St Rupert and St Virgil. The Cathedral was consecrated to St. Peter and St. Rupert, who also is the patron saint of the region together with St. Virgil.
Next to the statues there is a faithful copy of a wagon used for transporting salt, fountain of richness, which gave the name Salzburg to the city.
The baptismal font is the one that Mozartwasbaptized in.

Cathedral Museum

  • Domplatz 1a (Domvorhalle)
  • Tel. ++43 / (0)662 / 84 41 89
  • Fax ++43 / (0)662 / 80 47-1809
  • office@museum.kirchen.net
  • www.kirchen.net/dommuseum

Hotel Consigliati

ACHAT Plaza Zum Hirschen

ACHAT Plaza Zum HirschenACHAT Plaza Zum Hirschen is located in a quiet area of Salzburg, a 5-minute walk from the Main Train Station. It offers traditionally furnished rooms [...]

Hotel am Dom

Hotel am DomHotel am Dom is located in the heart of Salzburg's pedestrian area. The Residence Palace, the Festival Hall, Getreidegasse, the Hohensalzburg Fortress [...]

Hotel & Villa Auersperg

Hotel & Villa AuerspergFamily-run for 3 generations, the small and elegant boutique Hotel & Villa Auersperg enjoys a quiet location in the heart of Salzburg and features a c [...]

Arena City Hotel Salzburg

Arena City Hotel SalzburgSituated right at the Messe Salzburg fairgrounds, only 2 minutes from the A1 motorway, this hotel offers easy access to the centre by public transport [...]

Hotel Rosenvilla

Hotel RosenvillaThe Rosenvilla enjoys a green and quiet location in the exclusive residential district of Aigen, just a 15-minute walk from the centre and in south of [...]

Ibis Salzburg Nord

Ibis Salzburg NordThe Ibis Salzburg Nord is located directly at the A1 motorway in the north of Salzburg, 4 km from the city centre and 8 km from the airport. The mode [...]

Villa Trapp

Villa TrappFrom 1923 to 1938, Villa Trapp was the residence of the world-famous Von Trapp family, whose life in Salzburg entered history as ?The Sound of Music?, [...]