Hitler loved this area and before the Eagle’s Nest was built he lived in the village of Obersalzberg. In 1945, the British bombed the village but not the Eagle’s Nest.
In order to reach the chalet, you need to follow a winding road and then take the elevator, which was built into the mountain. This elevator leads directly to the building and it was used by Hitler and Eva Braun.
The Eagle’s Nest is famous for the pictures showing Hitler with Eva Braun on the balcony overlooking the village, from where you can admire a wonderful view over one of the highest mountains of Germany.
Although the building was about to be destroyed, since 1960 it has been managed by the Berchtesgaden tourist board becoming a mountain refuge under private management. The road to the Eagle’s Nest is closed to private traffic, but you can reach the building by shuttle buses.
If you prefer you can also reach the Eagle’s Nest by hiking from the parking area on a trail for about 40 minutes.
Something interesting to know
- The elevator leading to the chalet is decorated with mirrors, brass and green leather seats.
- The black marble fireplace in the octagonal room was a birthday gift from Italian dictator Benito Mussolini to Hitler.
- The chalet was built in one year, while the road was finished after 13 months. About a thousand people worked in the project.
- The unique big sharp U-bend connecting Obersalzberg and the parking area of Kehlstein rises over 700 meters.
- There is a 124 meters long tunnel lined with natural stone leading to the elevator.
- In only 41 seconds, the elevator travels 139 meters into the Eagle’s Nest building itself.
Situated at the banks of the Salzach River in the heart of Salzburg, Hotel Stein offers panoramic city views from its rooftop terrace. The stylish roo [...]
Austria Trend Hotel Altstadt Radisson Blu Salzburg is a 5-star hotel in a historic building dating from 1377, located right in the Old Town of Salzbur [...]
The Ibis Salzburg Nord is located directly at the A1 motorway in the north of Salzburg, 4 km from the city centre and 8 km from the airport. The mode [...]
Combining historic substance and modern architecture, the 4-star Castellani Parkhotel is located in green surroundings, a 15-minute walk from the cent [...]
This hotel enjoys an exceptionally central location in Salzburg, only a few minutes walk from the old town and all major sights. A public underground [...]
Family-run since 1912, the non-smoking Bergland Hotel offers a quiet location in the centre of Salzburg, only a 10-minute walk from the historic Old T [...]
The Doktorschl [...]